Monday

Roasted Tomato Soup Recipe

I received this recipe from a friend and subsequently did some tweaking of my own! The pictures below are a doubled batch so I have LOTS to freeze. I froze the soup in quart freezer bags. I have used the soup to make a variety of things (see notes below). Enjoy!

Roasted Tomato Soup Recipe
4 lbs tomatoes, stemmed and quartered (I don't peel or seed them)
13 cloves of garlic, peeled
1 medium onion, quartered
1/2c. of olive oil
1/4c. good quality balsalmic vinegar
Salt & pepper to taste.

Place above in non-reactive roasting pan. Toss with olive oil and balsalmic. Add salt and pepper to taste. Roast in a 500 degree oven for 40-50 minutes. (You are looking for some charred tips on the veggies). Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10-15 minutes (this helps the tomatoes juice up even more).

During last 15 minutes of roasting add 2c. of fresh basil to a large stock pot with 2c. of cold water, allow basil and water to simmer until basil wilts. Combine with roasted tomato mixture and allow to simmer for 30 minutes (or however long you need to get other things done).


From Drop Box


From Drop Box


Allow to cool on the stove for a while. I think I let it sit (off the burner) for 30 minuntes. Puree in a food processor or blender until smooth. Freeze in quart bags and use as a base for most any soup.

NOTES:
I recently thawed out a quart baggie, added 3 c. of chicken broth, 1/2 c. of frozen peas, one (drained) can of kidney beans, one can (drained) cannellini beans and 1 c. of small cooked pasta. I made a sort of Minestrone out of it and served it with crusty bread. I am NOT a fan of leftovers, but managed to devour this one!

I might add a little cornstarch/water mixture and make a pasta sauce out of one bag.

I plan to thaw out a bag, heat the soup in small bowls, add a slice of sourdough and shredded mozza cheese and broil that to make a roasted tomato soup with cheese bread.

It's a very versatile soup to eat alone or use as a base!

No comments:

Post a Comment