Wednesday

I'm back!

After a little break...okay, maybe not a break but adjusting to life as a single parent for the next 12 months, I seem to have gotten my feet under me..whew!  My family and I were recently made to move to on post housing for the remainder of our time here.  The minute I walked in I FELL IN LOVE with the kitchen and have to say I enjoy cooking!  We are even looking at a "kitchen helper" ladder-like thing for the kids to help to because we have the room to do it...yeah!

To ease myself back into blogging I thought I would let you know what I have been up to....raising 3 kids solo, while our solider serves abroad, and throw a move in there (from pack, load to unload to entire house set up was 6 days at the most)!  It truly feels like home!

My goal in moving into this house, and this kitchen, was to put more on the table than just bean burritos, tostados, cheesy eggs and quesadillas.  While my kids wouldn't mind I want to cook and introduce their pallette to new things!  I am two for two dinners this week!  YEAH!  Kids even asked me to save leftovers!

Tonight I made a GREAT Apricot Chicken (sort of sweet and sour chicken, can sweeten to your liking)
*The sauce wasn't sweet enough for me, I used "pollander's spreadable fruit" so I squeezed in a little honey
In a bowl combine
1/2 oil
1/2c. lemon juice
1/4c. dijon
2 tsp minced garlic
salt and pepper
stir to combine

remove 1/2c. of the marinade to a container to be used later.  Marinate 4-6 chicken breasts in the remaining marinade for at least 1 hour.
drain marinade from meat
add 2 Tbsp oil to skillet and seer and cook chicken in the pan

While the chicken is cooking in a smaller saucepan combine:
1 can chicken broth
3 Tbsp cornstarch
whisk until combined
add 1c. of apricot preserves (we used Pollander's All Fruit so we added some honey for sweetness) & reserved marinade
stir well and allow to boil to thicken

While you are waiting on sauce to get done start your rice!  The sauce was so good just on the rice too!

Sorry no photos for this one.  Had great intentions until my adventurous 10 month old encountered the dog water AGAIN!  Happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment