Monday

Make for dinner tonight and freeze a meal or two for later!

When I go to open a can of spaghetti sauce, I always ponder...why would I make my own when Hunt's does such a GREAT job?! Well, I was reminded tonight why making my own sauce and homemade meatballs are wonderful! ( I cannot seem to get in the habit of using the camera while I am cooking...sorry! I will keep trying to remember).

This is my mom's recipe for homemade spaghetti sauce and meatballs. The portions below feed my family with one or two leftovers for later, but this can be EASILY doubled and frozen for a later meal. One suggestion, freeze the sauce in one baggie and the meatballs in another!

Sandy's Spaghetti Sauce
1/2 c. chopped onion
3 Tbsp. criso (or other plain frying agent, EVOO works but the flavor DOES alter the taste of the sauce from my mom's original recipe)
Brown onion in oil/shortening
and add the following:
1 2# can of diced tomatoes (crushed worked too if you don't like a "chunky" sauce)
2 small cans of tomato paste
2 c. water
1 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp. salt
bay leaf


Bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer and allow to cook on low all day (can easily be thrown in the crock pot for 8 hours if you are headed to work).

Remove bay leaf before serving or freezing.

Homemade Meatballs---worth EVERY ounce of effort and easy to double and triple recipe for later (I made about 35 meatballs, cooked and drained in under an hour)...so worth it!!

1 lb. ground beef (can use 3/4 ground beef, 1/4 sausage if you like)
1c. cracker crumbs, crushed fine (I use saltines)
1/2 parmesean cheese (powder kind)
sprinkle of garlic salt
1/2 c. milk
2 well beaten eggs
salt and pepper


Mix all ingredients together, careful not to "overmix" meat, won't bind as well. Shape into 1" balls. Heat a small amount of oil in pan/skillet and add meatballs. Brown until crunchy and brown on all sides.

****ADD MEATBALLS TO SAUCE LAST HOUR OF SIMMER.

No comments:

Post a Comment